Calvin Lee Nees decided to make his entrance into the world a little earlier than we thought. On Friday the 9th I was admitted to the hospital for observation and fluids following an ultrasound that showed low amniotic fluid levels. It turns out this is why Cal was breech, he did not have room to turn and be head down. Jason and I stayed in the hospital all weekend and Sylvia spent 2 nights with Monique. She had a great time, playing with Bianca, having a movie night and bath at Brynnies and attending Lucy's birthday party. We were released on Sunday evening because my fluid levels were higher. I was put on light activity restriction and was told to come the next day for another AFI. Well, Monday morning we went in and our fluid levels were lower than ever and the doctors decided it was time for delivery. I prepared to have a c section later that evening. We waited anxiously all day for our surgery. While I was very sad that I couldn't experience labor and delivery in the same way as I had with Sylvia, I was confident that the surgery was the safest way to deliver a healthy baby. Wendy, Dean, grandma Rita and Pop Pop Leonard all came over to meet Cal when he was first born.
Calvin was born at 5:32 pm on October 12 2015. He came into the world screaming at 6 lbs 6 ounces, 20 inches long and the spitting image of his Dad. Blond and so cute.
The surgery was less than ideal but better than I expected. My placenta was very small when they delivered and that is the only reason they could find to explain my low fluid. I was able to hold Cal in the operating room, and he never had to be taken for observation. Because he was born before 37 weeks we had all the same special care as any late pre term baby. We had glucose checks before every feed, car seat test and were asked to handle nursing and feeding him slightly differently. My recovery was ok, but got so much better after I found a belly band and was able to stop taking the heavier pain medication. By 1 week postpartum I was feeling a lot better.
Cal is the sweetest and most cuddly baby. He sleeps all the time but eats surprisingly well. He was almost back to his birth weight by 8 days old. We love him so much.
Sylvia was so excited to meet him and has been making the transition to big sister with ease. She loves him too and asks for him all the time.
Cal had his circumcision done Thursday 10/15 and seems to be healing well.
Checking my fluids
First ride in a car
Welcome Cal
First family photo
Mama meeting Cal
Mom and Dad ready to meet Cal
Operation stuff
We're going to have this baby today :)
Sylvia visiting while Mom's fluid is being monitored
Dad ready for delivery









































No comments:
Post a Comment