Saturday, January 31, 2009

24 hours for Hank

This weekend was the 24 hours for Hank charity event. Let me back up and explain a little about this charity. 24 hours for Hank is an organization set up to find a cure for Cystinosis. Cystinosis is a rare genetic disease that affects approximately 500 people in the United States (mostly children), and about 2,000 people worldwide. This disease causes the amino acid “cystine” to accumulate in the body’s cells. Over time, cystine buildup slowly destroys various organs including the kidneys, liver, muscles, white blood cells, eyes and central nervous system. For more info on this organization please see the web site http://www.24hoursforhank.org/default.html. Jason and I have had a chance to meet Hank and his parents, Hank's dad works at the same company as we do. Hank is such a sweet little boy and it is so amazing to watch people come together to support this family and others affected by this disease. Our friend Matt has been involved in this organiztion for awhile now and Jason and I had the chance to volunteer for the event this weekend. This weekend was the 24 hours for Hank - ski race at Schweitzer. The idea was that the Mountain stayed open all night and teams of 3 and 4 signed up and skied all night, to raise money for cystinosis research. Jason had a pretty big Knee surgery this fall and can't ski yet, but Zack and some of our other friends were in the race. So, Jason, Shantelle, Kim, Kate and I signed up to help at the event and cheer on the skiers. It was a lot of fun, and was for such a good cause. Most Sponsors gave money based on laps made by each skier. Need less to say this race, yes for charity, became very competitive. The race started at 10 am on Friday and lasted till 10 am on Saturday. Matt and Zack said they were going to try and ski all night and I just didn't think it was possible. I mean I can't even stay awake all night. Anyways I was amazed they really did ski all night, I mean we're talking they came in twice to change their socks for about 10 min. and were back out. 24 hours straight skiing...... amazing.... We had a great weekend, staying at the mountain and hanging out with friends. Here are some pictures. Oh, and by the way.... I thought about staying up all night to cheer on the skiers, but lets be real I can't ever stay awake. So... I want to thank Kim for staying up with Jason... he likes to do stuff like that, and I just can't do it. :) Congrats Team Mickduff's - won the team award for laps skied and also Matt and Zack won the #1 & #2 Individual awards for # of laps skied.

No comments:

Post a Comment